This project is read-only.

Differences with Phoenix SDK

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM
Hi
What's the difference between CCI and Phoenix SDK ?
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I think of CCI and Phoenix as being complementary because CCI is primarily about turning source text into IL and Phoenix is primarily about turning IL into machine code.

If I were to remove the ability of CCI to read method bodies from compiled assemblies, CCI would not be able to do anything Phoenix can do. One could conceivably use Phoenix as a metadata reader for a source to IL compiler, and as a metadata + IL emitter for the same, but if you were to do so, you’d be in for a very big disappointment.

So, at one level, things are crystal clear: you use CCI when you want to produce IL and you use Phoenix when you want to produce machine code.

However, somewhat to my surprise, the ability of CCI to also construct an object model for method bodies of compiled assemblies has been a big hit. So much so, that most people think exclusively of CCI as a metada+IL reader.

OK, so when should you use Phoenix? Do so if you are willing and able to master a very complex API and when performance/memory footprint is not a big concern for you. Do so if you need to perform basically the same analysis over managed and unmanaged code. Do so if you need to and can leverage all of the information Phoenix computes in order to optimize IL into good machine code.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Good question, and great answer.  I've been using CCI for code analysis projects every since it came out in FxCop, and once I read about Phoenix, have been trying to figure out the differences between the two, and if I should standardize on one or the other.

Looks like CCI for the near future for me