is CCI right for me?

Topics: PE reader, Source Model
Oct 2, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Hello,

ive been thinking about creating a custom tool for visual studio that processas an xml file that contains type and namespace names, finds all the events in those classes and generates IObservable wrappers for them.

initially i thought of using reflection for this but perhaps the cci is better? reflection would have the issue of unloading all the assemblies after the discovery of events, i also read somewhere that some information not included in reflection is included with CCI (the article mention introspection and FXCop, but fxCop uses CCI right?)

Another question is how to do the code generation, what i want to have in the end are a bunch of static classes containign extension methods for all the events in the input types, i was thinking about using T4 to do this but again, is CCI a better solution?

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

It is difficult to speculate on why CCI would be "better" without setting down specific criteria for the evaluation. What I can say is that it sounds like you would be able to accomplish your goals with CCI.

What I can also say is that it is probably going to be a convenience to use the same object model for both reading and generating metadata, so I would not personally contemplate using System.Reflection for reading metadata and something else for writing it. On the other hand, I've never heard of T4. What is it?

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM

T4 is the templating technology that's 'hidden' in Visual Studio (2008 at least):

Scott Hanselman talks about it here: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/T4TextTemplateTransformationToolkitCodeGenerationBestKeptVisualStudioSecret.aspx

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I realize this is a bit late, but your scenerio looks like something for Castle Dynamic Proxy.